What is GEAR UP? Frequently asked questions.
WHAT IS GEAR UP?
The GEAR UP partnership is a federal grant funded program by the U.S. Department of Education. Funded in September of 2011 in the amount of $6.9 million dollars per year for a total of seven years, Region One ESC GEAR UP serves approximately 10,500 cohort students in 30 high schools at 27 regional school districts arrayed along the U.S.-Mexico border from Laredo to Brownsville, Texas. It consists of a partnership between local public school districts, institutes of higher education, and businesses/organizations that help students and their families toward college and career readiness.
The primary goal of the GEAR UP partnership is to increase the number of targeted students who enter and succeed in post-secondary environments. This goal is supported by a plan that encompasses academic systemic reform. Services are substantiated by validated research, and are intended to result in a systemic examination, alignment, and implementation of policies, programs, and practices that enable students to succeed in college.
-Region One ESC GEAR UP Website
WHAT ARE THE GOALS OF THE GEAR UP PROGRAM?
- Objective 1: Increase the academic performance and preparation for post-secondary education for GEAR UP students.
- Objective 2: Increase the rate of high school graduation and participation in post-secondary education for GEAR UP students through a systemic transformation of continuous improvement.
- Objective 3: Increase GEAR UP students’ and their families’ knowledge and awareness of post-secondary education, financing options and preparation.
- Objective 4: Increase GEAR UP students' access to advanced academic programs, technology applications and distance learning networks through a STEM initiative.
- Objective 5: Increase the leadership capacity of administrators and community stakeholders to sustain a college awareness organizational structure of continuous learning.